Framingham Girl Scout Leader Meeting Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Council programs and forms: www.girlscoutseasternmass.org
Town web site: www.framinghamgirlscouts.blogspot.com
All leader meetings this year to be held the first Tuesday of the month at the Plymouth Church. Next meeting= October 6
Agenda: Fall Registration discussion, upcoming events: roller skating, tree lighting, Menorah lighting
Introductions/Attendance: 10 in attendance
1. Council Updates: Lou Ann Kelly is our new contact person at council, she is in the Waltham office and can be reached by e-mail at mailto:lakelly%40girlscoutseasternmass.org
A. Family Partnership – please check your troop folder in the box at the church for the Family Partnership Campaign pamphlets. This program is vital to supporting the many camps, trainings, and programs offered at the council level – did you know it costs the council approximately $286 per girl per year? Keep in mind the $12 dues collected each year goes directly to National Girl Scouts. The Family Partnership and Cookies support the council and they are in desperate need of support. It has been shown in the past that when troop leaders explain the importance of the Family Partnership directly to the parents the donations are more frequent and higher. Please ask your families to support this program, even if they can only donate $10-$25.
B. Florida Everglades Trip 2009-2010– flyer given out: info nights = Oct 4, 2-3pm in Norton and Oct 18, 4-5 in Reading – must pre-register – check the web site
C. GSEM Free family day at Harvard Women’s Soccer – Sat, Sept 26 at 11am, info: mailto:lsouza%40girlscoutseasternmass.org or call 774-766-69184.
D. Volunteer CORI forms – all volunteers now need to complete a CORI form every three years (previously it was 5 years), there is also a new procedure – the form’s signature must be witnessed by an “approved” volunteer, Lou Ann from council is approved and we are looking into getting someone in town approved.
E. Cradles to Crayons – flyer on this program to help supply clothes/shoes/presents/toys/books/etc to children in need for more information visit: www.cradlestocrayons.org or e-mail – mailto:Christine%40cradlestocrayons.org
2. Fall Encampment: due to low interest last spring there is no encampment planned at this time.
Helena has also decided to step down as the Encampment Director for the Town of Framingham – it would be great to have a new volunteer sign up, council provides all necessary training
check out their web site
3. Spring Registration Early Bird Patches: if your troop registered last spring your early bird patches are now in your troop folder at the church
4. Fall Registration: is now under way and due to Deb by mid-October. Your fall packet is at the church with all the necessary forms, please contact Deb at 508-405-1211 or with any questions.
Reminder: your troop may not meet or sell cookies until their registration in completed and with the town registrar.
FYI – the registration fee for this year has been increased to $12 per person (it has been many years since fees were last raised) – the deposit must be made and three copies obtained from the bank to complete the registration process
5. Service Unit Open Positions: we are in search of a Treasurer and Encampment Director – the treasurer position training can be done by Helena, but the Encampment Director must obtain training through the council – check the web site for requirements, further discussion of Service Unit Openings to be discussed at the October Leader Meeting.
6. TentativeTownwide Events:
A. Oct 25 – Math and Computer Workshop at St Bridget School Hall – flyer to come out with specific details soon. Estimated. cost is $6.50 per Brownie and Junior, and $5 per Daisy (Daisies will work on Math portion only). Due to limited space the cut off will be set at 80 girls
B. Roller skating party- TBA
C. Tree Lighting –TBA, we need to hear from the town regarding the completion of construction at town hall
D. Girl Scout Sunday – St Bridget Church will host a Mass on Sun, March 7 at 9 a.m., watch for flyer
E. Girl Scout Bowling –tentatively scheduled for Saturday, March 6 late morning/early afternoon